Friday, September 22, 2006

death

It's amazing how we go through life taking things for granted and blissfully ignoring the fact that we are going to die one day. Talking about death makes a lot of people uneasy. I particularly hate it when my parents talk about death....

Today I remembered Polly Whitmarsh, who was my roommate freshman year. She passed away a few years back from brain tumor. I remembered a conversation we had about death and how we liked to go. As I think back on her battle with cancer and how she approached it, I am really amazed and would hope that I view life the way she does. Polly's first thoughts when she got the news that she had tumor was the impact it would make to her family, especially her mom. She remained cheerful even going through the painful surgeries and chemo and other treatments... Even when she was losing her hair and getting tired easily, she still sang in church and played basketball! Even when she was terminal, she still sang ... I do hope, however I pass on, I face live and whatever it brings and death, in the same cheerful manner...

No doubt I'll be complaining a lot (that's how I am) but not letting anything defeat me.


This is the last picture I have of Polly (with her nephew)...

1 comment:

Lynn said...

Hey Magdalene! Great to hear from you again. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

What a wonderful tribute to Polly. She was a truly amazing woman, and it will be wonderful to see her again in heaven.